In the past years, Pelikan has always released a special edition Edelstein ink-color in the beginning of a calendar year as well as a color-matching M200/205 fountain pen at the end of that calendar year. Last years special edition ink and pen color was Aquamarine (a teal color), which I have reviewed here. This years SE is an awesome warm brown hue, called Smoky Quartz.
I am a huge fan of earthy tones in ink colors, and brown is a particular fave of mine. I already really loved the Smoky Quartz ink that I have ever since it came out, and when I saw first pictures of the matching fountain pen, there was little doubt that I had to get my hands on that model for a review, too. Spoiler alert: I’m glad I did, because the color is simply awesome. Also, it is a good mile away from an earlier SE, the Cognac – which was a lovely release in itself. So if you already have the latter, you have a good excuse getting the Smoky Quartz, too 🙂 . As always with the special editions, it’s a good idea to make a fast move – once stock is gone, it’s gone.
More on the pen (and ink) in the video-review below, which is, as always, preceded by some quick facts. Again, I hope the review is helpful and that you enjoy watching it!
- Pelikan Classic M200 “Smoky Quartz” (2017 Special Edition)
- Semi-transluscent resin / demonstrator pen
- Gold-colored accents and trims
- Piston filling-mechanism (1.3 ml ink capacity)
- Available steel-nib options: Extra Fine (EF), Fine (F), Medium (M) and Broad (B)
- Price: around 125 € (with the SE-Edelstein ink-flacon with gold accents)
Click on the photos to enlarge.