The Sailor 1911 L(arge) essentially is the bigger sibling of the Sailor 1911 S(tandard) and/or the same pen as the Sailor Pro Gear – just without the flat top, capped-off ends. These ‘end tips’ added, the 1911 L makes a cigar-shaped fountain pen, which catapults it into the realm of the most classic pen designs on the market. Add to that Sailors legendary nibs as well as a perfect weight, size and balance, the 1911 L is a next-to-perfect-pen. Next-to-perfect only, because some people may dislike the pen for looking too bland/boring/uninspired. If you, like me, however appreciate understated pens that can be used in any circumstance without attracting too much unwanted attention, this pen is a fantastic writing instrument that is definitely worth having a look at.
Before we hop into the review, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the kind people at La Couronne du Comte for supporting the review of this pen. You can also buy the Sailor 1911 L at their webshop (no affiliate-link).
But now, check out the video-review below, which is as always preceded by some quick facts. Again, I hope the review is helpful and that you enjoy watching it!
- Sailor 1911 L(arge)
- Available in a number of sizes and finishes
- Resin barrel
- Nickel-Chromium/Rhodium plated accents and trims
- Cartridge/converter filler (Sailor proprietary)
- 21k gold nib, rhodium plated
- Available nib options: Extra Fine (EF), Fine (F), Medium (M) and Broad (B) + a number of speciality nibs (e.g. Zoom, Music, Naginata-Togi, …)
- Price: around 290 €
Click on the photos to enlarge.